Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wednesday February 3, 2010


























Yesterday seems so long ago. Monday night I got home from work at 9:30, finished last minute preparations and met the but at 11:50. The bus ride was great - many slept. We got to Boston about 2:45AM got ourselves upstairs and waited until 3:30 when the ticket counter opened. Only 2 disruptions; Vero fainted (it was so hot in the airport) and American Airlines spelled Sarah's name wrong on her ticket.

The flight was great. The students were great. There was such excitement by the time we flew over Costa Rica and into San José, the capital. We made our way through customs with out any problems and left with our corresponding families. Today, everybody spent time with their families.


Luis took me all over today. We went up a huge mountain and hiked. It was beautiful. Then he took me an hour to Guatuso where Gabe, Sarah and Cody are living. We saw Gabe and Sarah, Cody wasn't home.

The food that is pictured was lunch for me. Luis' mother in law and wife prepared it. Delicious! The soup is very typical and is called "Olla de carne"



We then went to visit Vero and Johanna.

Everything seems great. One high point was seeing the monkeys. Luis spotted them as we were driving. He said that we were VERY lucky to see them and lucky that they stayed put while I took the pictures - they usually run away. They are Congo monkeys. There seemed to be a whole family of them.

I have never used this blog before. I thought I was going to be able to post comments next to the pictures. I guess I will have to comment as I post pics.

Also, the first picture at the top is the last one taken on Wednesday. The last picture at the bottom is the the first one taken yesterday (Tuesday)


Tomorrow we are going to La Fortuna, where the Volcano is. The kids are going to swim in the hot springs.

Enjoy the pics

Hasta mañana

skip

6 comments:

  1. The first pics are of Veronicas house in La Fortuna.- where the Volcano is. it was getting dark.

    I will do better at commenting on the pics. The brown house with the cement path is Luis' house where I am staying. Under the house is Luis's family.

    The picture sequence which includes Luis cutting a coconut is at Carolina's house where Sarah is living.

    The 2 pics under the coconuts are of Milagro's house where Gabe is staying. Her parents made the welcome home Milagro sign. Gabe is to the left (there is a bike to the right)

    The cows were on the main highway..... Very different.... and quite common.

    The picture of me is up on a mountain. It was VERY cold and rainy. We got a flat tire. it was miserable changing it. The weather changes very quickly depending on where you are. Where Gabe, Milagro, Sarah, Carolina y Nani and Cody are living in Guatuso (1 hour from me) is HOT. Where I live is nice, 75ish..... with a great breeze.

    The BAÑO sign was in the restaurant we stopped at on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a lot of fun. wish i could be ther wit u guys-tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish i could go to costarica can you bring me back a suvinear
    Jeremy Doane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool pictures! Thanks for taking the time to post. Just took a few minutes to show my French class (F Block) ... seeing that it is possible to travel to another country and live among the people, is a valuable lesson for EVERY student in our school :) HAVE FUN at the Hot Springs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you take a picture of the volcano and some animals maybe some musicle instrumenst?
    Jeremy Doane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like tons of fun. Thank you for the pictures. Everyone looks so happy :)

    ReplyDelete